- Elected to the National Academy of Engineering for the development of techniques for extracting information from very large databases (2006)
- Elected Foreign Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering for achievements of exceptional merit in Engineering and demonstrated distinctive eminence (2016)
- Elected ACM Fellow for contributions to data mining (2003)
- Elected IEEE Fellow for contributions to the theory and practice of database management (1999)
- Appointed Microsoft Technical Fellow (2006)
- Appointed IBM Fellow (2002)
- First Scientific American list of 50 top scientists and technologists for devising methods to preserve the privacy of information in large databases (2003)
- First ACM SIGKDD Innovation Award for many research contributions, including pioneering work on association rules, mining sequences and much more (2000)
- ACM SIGMOD Edgar F. Codd Innovations Award for pioneering key data mining concepts and technologies (2000)
- Special Golden Jubilee Distinguished Alumnus Award conferred by the National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE) to mark the 50th Anniversary of the founding of the institute (2013)
- IIT-Roorkee Distinguished Alumnus Award selected from across engineering and science disciplines and across all years (2010)
- 2014 SIGMOD Test of Time Award for the most impactful paper over the intervening decade for the paper: Order-Preserving Encryption for Numeric Data.
- 2008 ICDE Influential Paper Award for the most influential paper from at least 10 years ago for the paper: Mining Sequential Patterns.
- 2004 VLDB 10-Year Award for the most impactful paper from 10 years ago for the paper: Fast Algorithms for Mining Association Rules in Large Databases.
- 2003 SIGMOD Test of Time Award for the most impactful paper over the intervening decade for the paper: Mining Association Rules between Sets of Items in Large Databases.
Best paper Awards:
- SIGMOD 2008 Best Paper Award for the paper on Integrating Mining with Relational Database Systems: Alternatives and Implications.
- OOPSA 1991 Best Paper Award for the paper on Static Type Checking of Multi-Methods.